Wednesday, June 8, 2011

WIP Wednesday: Nocino 2.0

Do you remember when I was obsessed with making nocino last year? I don't seem to have reported on the eventual outcome: despite my skepticism, it actually came out pretty tasty! I didn't intend to make any more, though, at least not this year - until I was at the Ferry Building and saw a stand selling blueberries, cherries, ...and green walnuts. Score!!!! When happenstance beckons, I certainly answer.

Since I haven't begun to get through last year's triple batch, I bought enough green walnuts (30) to make ONE BATCH. And I decided to go nuts (heh) and buy some really good vodka this time around. (I bought the $7/bottle crap at Trader Joe's last year.)


I will use the same recipe as last year, but based on my blog-notes, I will also use the technique recommended by this one.  I will tone down the volume of sugar a bit, as I'm only using 750 ml, not a full liter of vodka.

1) quarter the walnuts and add to a glass jar
2) sprinkle sugar over and let sit for a day or two
3) cover with the sugary walnuts with booze
4) add the following spices: 2 cinnamon sticks, 5 whole cloves, 1/3 vanilla bean, 1 star anise, 1/4 tsp grains of paradise
5) let steep for a while, shaking occasionally (I'm going to be away for a while and feel silly getting a booze-sitter)

I've got the spices sitting out right now and wow.. .they sure smell like the end product. I wonder what the walnut-infused vodka alone tastes like?

No comments:

Post a Comment