Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Waxing skepticism

Well, I got my hands on the beeswax today. I don't know if it can even be called beeswax yet - it's the cappings (ends cut off the honeycomb cells) and other messy bits.
One online source suggested putting the cappings in water on low heat. So, fingers crossed, I gave it a shot. At first it didn't seem like anything was happening.
But after a while the big ol' clump seemed to break down.
And then I could see golden liquid starting to take over.

And even more liquid:
Until finally it all seemed melted:
Now I'm supposed to let it cool down. The wax will allegedly form a block, with the cruddy bee bits and other detritus stuck to the bottom of the block, where I can cut it off. I dunno though: 
I find it hard to believe this is going to work. Time will tell!

1 comment:

  1. How are you going to get it out of the pot? Curious to hear about this.

    ReplyDelete