Monday, October 15, 2012

Settling in: Free time!

It's already two weeks (and a bit!) since I returned to Portland. I'm working 8-5 and my commute takes no time at all. So what am I doing with my free time? It's a bit haphazard so far, but it's actually been rather busy. Among the highlights:
  • Rejoined my old book group
  • Went to a couple wine tastings - at Friday night's I was invited to find out more about some food/wine group, at Saturday's I was invited to drop in on a regular Thursday tasting. I am not convinced either will pan out, but it was nice in any case. 
  • Went to a couple different yarn shops - I think I've been inside two different shops a total of 5 times in the last couple of weeks...but did NOT purchase every time, thank goodness. 
  • Had brunch at a friend's.
  • Gave blood.
  • Went to a movie (and nearly wept with joy to pay 12.50 for the movie, a slice of pizza, a pint of beer AND a tip).
  • Went to a pub to see some music (it was a total Portland experience, including the sidewalk chit chat that covered camping, biking, and global warming).
  • Helped a friend paint a rental property.
  • Helped another friend with some yard work
  • Went out for Ethiopian food while watching the debates
On the to-do list:
  • I just joined another book group, coordinated by a former coworker. We will meet for the first time next month. I belonged to two book groups about a decade ago, and frankly it's probably unwise, but I'm doing it in the name of expanding my social circle!
  • I'd like to find a good knitters group to join
  • I'd also like to find some bluegrass music venues to check out 
I've also walked and biked around my part of Portland quite a bit, looking at cute little houses, wishing I thought I could afford one, wondering if I'm REALLY willing to commit to yard work and the maintenance of a dwelling...

One weird thing is that shopping is a non-starter. I'm not really cooking much, I don't have any nesting to do so long as I'm renting a room, and I'm avoiding the one shopping trip I really need to do - getting an office chair from IKEA. Maybe tomorrow....

Finally, my roommate turned me on to the existence of a panaderia - a Mexican (or at least Latin American) bakery in my neighborhood. Oh. My. Goodness. They make everything themselves from the puff pastry (hard!) to the pastry cream (not so hard) and it was gooood and inexpensive. So far I've only visited once but the writing is on the wall there.

I have some upcoming social plans to reconnect with more people. We'll see how this all settles down after I've been here a while. So far, so good. Fingers crossed. 

2 comments:

  1. Well, I've been going to Close Knit on Wednesday nights... some weeks it is pretty quite, other weeks it is rather lively. Not sure what to tell you about the Ikea trip (have you settled on a specific Ikea chair?). And do tell me about the Panaderia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aha! I didn't know about Close Knit - perfect! I'll aim to go next week. I did muster the verve to face IKEA and a partially-assembled Vilgot is currently mocking me. Chairs are hard! (I can't make the wheels click into place)

    ReplyDelete