Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Mushroom-barley soup

Today's lunch group offering is something I made on Friday when I got home from work. I was hungry, so I nuked some leftover roasted veggies to hold me until the soup was ready. Then I opened a bottle of wine, and got to chopping.


Mushroom-barley soup

In a stock pot, heat some oil, then add:
1/2 onion, diced small
2 garlic cloves, diced small

After about five minutes, add 1 or 2 pounds of sliced brown mushrooms. Stir occasionally as they release their liquids. Don't let it cook totally dry. When there's still some liquid left, add:

3 carrots, chopped
3 celery stalks, chopped
pinches of salt, pepper, sage, and oregano

pour in approximately 4 cups of water, and a cup of barley. Bring to a boil, then simmer for an hour or so. Enjoy!

I'm going to serve it to lunch group with some Parmesan to sprinkle on top, and with a side of salad greens and a batch of tahini goddess dressing from the excellent "Jam it, pickle it, cure it : and other cooking projects."

No comments:

Post a Comment