Perhaps, then, I should be unsurprised that I've been oddly motivated to clear stuff out of my apartment: my internal clock knows it's time to upend everything and give it a good shake! Moving is quite handy for that, and without one to motivate me, I've had a hard time getting going on Project Bedroom.
My kitchen and living room are acceptable, but my bedroom has needed a solid going-over for a long time. The woes include:
- My bed was a decent purchase ten or so years ago, but it wasn't intended to be taken apart and reassembled as many times as it has and it has been threatening to fall apart for a while now.
- My mattress is 14 years old, as my back reminds me frequently.
- I have two file cabinets but emptied one of them six months ago.
- I've got two plastic bins with drawers serving as a bedside table.
- My other bedside table is bright yellow and whimsical, and seemed like a good idea 10 years ago, but I'm kind of over it now.
- I have a friend-made dining room table serving as an unused desk/printer holder/crap catcher.
- I have a stand-up fan just kinda standing around. I use it a couple of times per year but don't really need to look at it the other 363 days.
- The curtains are sun-faded.
- The rug was a mistake - it's rough and hurts my tender bare feet.
I've taken a ton of stuff to Goodwill and threw more stuff out (including old ticket stubs and photographs - honestly, if I'm not interested in them, no one else will be either!). I still have more to get rid of (including the empty file cabinet) but I'm starting to get to a good place for a do-over.
I don't know when I'll be done but I have picked out what bed I want. I think I know where I'm going to put it. I envision a room that contains my bed, my bicycle, a small desk, and not much more (my clothes live in a very large closet). It's exciting but tiring and I'm glad I'm going out of town for a bit so I don't have to look at it for a while!