Monday, July 30, 2012

All manner of lists

So in my last post I mentioned that life and career stuff had been sucking up my brain - well, let your sleepless nights of pondering my life come to a middle. I'm moving back to Portland, but I'm going to keep working for my current employer. My new job is a little vague, and we don't know who will take over my current one, and it's all a little bit crazy-making to a big-time Decider like me. (In Myers-Briggs speak, I'm hugely weighted on the Judging end of the Judging/Perceiving scale.)

At one level, this has been in the works for six years, ever since I left Portland. It's been my favorite place since I first visited in 1995, and I felt proud and happy to live there for ten years. Leaving was totally unexpected but I decided it was the right move for me at the time (and still feel that it was a good move). I always hoped to return and was careful to keep a lot of roots alive there, visiting at least once a year to participate in traditions such as a cookie party, participating in annual book group planning meetings and enjoying brunches and other celebrations.

Last year when my friend's husband died so suddenly I felt ready to quit my job and couch surf up there until I found something else.. fortunately my siblings talked me out of that particular flavor of madness. This spring when a job came open in my company that could be worked remotely, I applied for it, explaining a pending move as one of the factors for my application. Well, I didn't get the job, but the VP took as a fact that I was moving away and said they'd work something out for me; lo and behold they created a position and stuck my name on it.

So, I don't know exactly what I'll do or when it will start; I'll rent from a friend until I decide what type of real estate I want to get into (house that is stumbling distance from a few friends would be great; a condo might be a more realistic selection given how much I do NOT care for home maintenance projects). Right now I feel some low-level stress at all times but I'm trying not to let it get to me. Wish me every manner of luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment