Saturday, October 2, 2010

Two Thousand Ten: October

Oh, isn't this picture evocative of crisp air and sunshine?
I have a little ceramic figure I call the Traveling Dude. He was a gift from a good friend to commemorate a road trip - we left his brethren along the route of our drive from Portland to Rocky Mountain National Park and back in 2003. I wouldn't dream of leaving my Dude anywhere, but I do like to get him in pictures now and then. He's been to Yosemite with me several times; this picture was taken last October. Pro tip: Go to Yosemite on Halloween weekend.. most people tend to stay home!

I can't believe it's been a year since I was last in Yosemite, with no trip planned in the near future. That makes me a little sad. If I choose to focus on the positive, though, I've been there five times since 2006, so I'm doing pretty well. I've climbed great heights (though not Half-Dome, not yet),
Lembert Dome, Sept 2006

admired the beauty of a long-abandoned orchard
Yosemite on Earth Day 2007

cross-country skiied through TONS of snow (and got to put chains on the car!):
February 2008

admired crazy-huge rock formations - this is about the size of a car:
 
North Dome hike, October 2008

and of course, breathed deeply of the fresh clean air (and slept like a log).
October 2009. yep, it's that beautiful.

2 comments:

  1. i love these calendar posts! i hope you do them next year, too. i have a pretty good ARC for a YA book that takes place in 19th-cent yellowstone if you're interested. not yosemite, but close. email me yr address if you want me to send it to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Meghan! I've been doing an annual calendar for a few years, so unless I really get behind, I'm bound to make another for next year. I'm glad you like it as blog fodder!

    I will email you my address, I'm curious to see the book.

    ReplyDelete