Wednesday, September 22, 2010

WIP Wednesday: slippers!

I realized recently that the last time I was away from work for a full weekend-to-weekend chunk of time was last December. I can't quite express how ready I am for a break! I'm going on a road trip with a friend in a couple of weeks, spending a day & a bit in Portland (still my favorite place, stupid stupid city...with any luck the weather will be crap) before heading west and spending several days driving down the coast of Oregon & into California. In 1995, I think, I drove up the entire coast of California with a friend, and I've visited the northern Oregon coast many times. So, I'm most extremely excited to see the legendarily beautiful and hard-to-reach Southern Oregon coast!

I decided to knit some cute little slippers for the trip, so my friend and I have something cute for our hotel rooms and a fun souvenir. The Yarn Harlot popularized some felted slippers (good examples here and here) and I decided to give them a go. I had limited yarn options and picked a bluey-green that is hopefully somewhat reflective of the colors of the Oregon coast, but realistically that color would be more piney and brown and gray. Still, pretty, right?

The crazy thing about felting is that you make the object so HUGE - then shrink it. So here are the two pairs of slippers, pre-felting (the toe strap and button get added later):
For some perspective - they are quite big right now!


My astute readers will note that the bottom of the slippers contains some black yarn - I had some leftover from my first felting project, this bag that I never carry:
And thank goodness I did use the extra yarn. If you go back to the picture of the nearly-completed slippers, see those two little lumps of yarn to their left? Yep, that's all that's left of the skeins! woot, no stashing for me!

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to see the finished object. And thank you for showing the pre-felting photo.

    ReplyDelete