Saturday, July 3, 2010

Limoncello update

I recently posted about making limoncello, and I finally got to try it! Sadly, I have to admit that the stuff I bought in Italy in 2001 is better. Not only does it have a truer, more lemony flavor, it's more visually appealing as well:
See that gorgeous yellowy cloudy stuff on the left? That's the Italian limoncello.

Now, my version is by no means terrible, and it's certainly been a good learning experience. I thought it could use some sweetening, so I added more simple syrup, but now it tastes a bit watered-down (using stronger vodka and less-watery syrup would've helped on both counts). I think I'll make it again, but I'll use Meyer lemons (for a more unique flavor) and will do a more careful sweetening stage - I was really guessing at it this time, and that's where I went wrong.

I tell you what, I wish I could get lemons from New Zealand. The first time I had a glass of water there with lemons floating in it, I thought they'd somehow infused the water with flowers! Their lemons are a lot sweeter and less acidic than any I've ever had elsewhere. Anyway, as you'll soon see, this has not deterred me from boozy experimentation!

1 comment:

  1. I also have a recipe sitting here to make my own. Limoncello is so delicious.

    ReplyDelete