Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Picky picky

I started knitting in January 2008. It's fun, though I'm getting to the point where I really have enough of everything - do I really need three sets of fingerless mitts? No. But here I am, making my third set. To be fair: a) the first set is too big b) the second pair doesn't match c) I didn't set out to make mitts.

I started out making socks, but made the cuff too small. It's a fancy cuff, and the yarn is a bit heavy to wear around here anyway, so I figured I'd use the sock pattern and improvise mitts. Here is the first attempt:





I like how the line is running up the thumb, but if you look closely, you can see that there's a jag where the wrist hits the hand - the zig-zag line that continues onto the hand is off a stitch. I decided I couldn't live with that, and ripped out the hand. If you look closely you can see the lifeline: the thread I put through the stitches at the wrist/hand join area, to make it easy to rip out.

Take two is much better: the wrist/hand join line is perfect, and I think I like the continued zig-zag theme better:



Now I'm finishing up at the finger end with a version of the wrist pattern. Then I do the thumb, and then try to repeat for the other hand!

2 comments:

  1. ooh, i really like them! will you write the pattern up when you finish?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I'll give it a try! It won't be that hard, as I borrowed most of the concepts from a pattern on Ravelry called the SKA March 2009 Mystery Sock Pattern, by Kristi Schueler. I've been scribbling notes as I go, so I'll just try to make them coherent when I'm finished.

    ReplyDelete