Sunday, September 20, 2009

You say tomato, I say YUM


When I was growing up, the best summer meal ever was BLTs made with the amazing beefsteak tomatoes my mom grew in the garden. I've never had a real urge to garden, but man, I miss amazing tomatoes fresh off the vine. Yes, I can buy them, but it's not quite the same.

Now that my building is doing a garden, I'm excited to try to save some tomato seeds and grow my own next year. I got three locally-bred tomatoes at the farmer's market today. The tomatoes are gorgeous: red, with hints of orange and green. The flavor is amazing - a bit tangy, a bit sweet; I couldn't stop myself from eating a whole one on its own. I'm inspired to save the seeds and see if they'll grow for me next year!

But now I've learned that you have to put a tiny bit of work into harvesting tomato seeds, and it could get a bit icky. Still, I've got to try. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment