Wednesday, September 30, 2009

something smells GOOD in here

It's finally feeling a bit autumnal in these parts - a bit chilly in the evenings and mornings - and I decided to bake something yummy. I picked out this recipe for Dark Molasses Gingerbread. May I say: it smells amazing!!!!!

I had all of the ingredients on hand - I always find that SO satisfying. As is My Way, I altered things a bit. Instead of a round cake pan, I decided to use a loaf pan (and lengthened the baking time - I expect it'll take about 60-70 minutes to bake fully). Also, instead of 2 cups cake flour, I used 2/3 cup whole wheat flour, and 1 1/3 cups unbleached all-purpose. Almost all the ingredients (missing only the butter & water):


It's pretty easy. Mix the dry ingredients:

Then add 2 eggs, 1 cup hot water and 1/2 cup butter that's been melted into it (the hot liquid made the bowl steam appealingly); then add a WHOLE lot of molasses: the entire 12-ounce bottle went in.



And get it in the oven!


I think that'll make a really nice breakfast, along with some plain yogurt. I've got something else in mind to bake for my coworkers, so I won't feel TOO bad about keeping this all for myself!

I'll try to get a picture of the finished product and share that later.

No comments:

Post a Comment