Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Diversification checkin

A little more than a year ago, I came up with a diversification plan for my retirement accounts. The plan was:

Large cap/broad market: 40%
Small cap: 10% 
International: 25%  
Bond: 15%
Reit: 10%

Let's check in, shall we?

Percentage increase in my accounts from March 2012 to May 2013: 34.8 %. Granted that includes my contributions, but excuse me while I say DAMN.

Well, I don't know what I'm doing, really, so I'm going to leave those alone and not do any rebalancing. Now that I have a mortgage to pay (notice I don't say I OWN a home...), I'm less worried about having money in a REIT.

The run-up in the market has been pretty sweet lately; I wish I knew some clever way to lock in my gains. But, I'll just keep on saving like I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment