Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Pickle news

Remember those rhubarb pickles I made earlier this month? I brought them to a book group meeting last night to try them out.

Ooh boy. The good news is, the flavor was quite nice. Unfortunately the texture was very very very bad. I guess processing them in boiling water cooked any trace of crispness out of them - they were somewhere between limp and mushy. Yuk.

I'll puree them and call it a savory sandwich spread (it would be quite nice with chicken or turkey!), and if I see rhubarb the next time I'm at the store, I will try making a batch of refrigerator pickles in hopes of maintaining any level of crunch.

I haven't tried the asparagus pickles yet but am rather gloomily expecting they'll be equally bad. I don't think I really want pureed pickled asparagus for my sandwiches, though. Ah well, live and learn!

No comments:

Post a Comment